[Techtalk] PHP, session variables & cookies

Dan dan at cellectivity.com
Mon Mar 7 22:31:06 EST 2005

> I am looking into the legal implications of the website that I have just
> written, (reminderanywhere.com) and working on a privacy statement.
> But the issue has come up of whether we are using cookies.

Session cookies are the least intrusive kind: they vanish as soon as the
browser is closed. I would say that they're never written to the hard
drive, but of course I can't guarantee that because I don't know the
internal workings of all browsers.

Besides, if the user has to login to the site, then he has a unique
identification that allows you to "track" him anyway, so there's hardly
a point in talking about cookies.

If you're looking for reassuring language, you could say that the
session cookie provides an identifier that changes every time the user
exits his browser, so it can't be traced back to any individual.

--
I think it was one of the most honest and accurate ads on the whole site!
     - Dom Ramsey, when eBay removed his offer of "absolutely nothing",