[Techtalk] Web-hosting dilemma

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Jun 6 16:00:47 EST 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> Thing is, of course, two people on this thread, including you, above,
> have said "No, no, don't run your own server in your own house!  Run
> away!  Run away!"

As a fellow Australian, I've personally decided not to host web sites
off my ADSL, primarily because they are sufficiently popular that they'd
flood my uplink. (And buying faster uploads is expensive in Australia,
much more so than faster downloads.)

I *do* use my ADSL as my primary mail server, because my home server has
much more CPU power and memory than my UML (at linode.com) does, and
virus and spam scanning is expensive in both processing and memory
power.

That said, if you're not concerned about uptime (and anyone who is
probably should stay away from UML providers anyway) and you don't think
it will break the bandwidth budget, hosting from home sounds fine to me.
Good chance to play around with traffic shaping.

-Mary