[Techtalk] ADSL NB5 gateway webserver problems

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Wed Jun 1 12:44:00 EST 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:35:44 -0500, Kathryn Hogg wrote:

> Since I only have a handful of machines, I just edited all the hosts files
> so that my public host names are set to 192.168.0.x and then set
> nsswitch.conf to search hosts before dns.

Another way is to run an internal name server which thinks it's the
primary name server for your domain, and have all your internal hosts
use it as their (only) name server.  The internal name server will
answer any queries for your domain, answer anything else from its cache
if it can, and forward the rest to external name servers.

You do have to maintain two copies of your zone data, but I find it
easier than maintaining multiple hosts files.

Cheers,

John
--
I'm not sure what's more amazing: how much got done with a tiny bit of
assembly on an itty bitty 8bit CPU with minimalist I/O helper chips...