[Techtalk] Re: Installing fonts

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 04:17:28 EST 2005

David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> I am writing an article for a newsletter, and I need to use symbols
> from the International Phonetic Alphabet.  None of the fonts I have
> available at the moment seems to include them, although some of the
> fonts that FireFox uses clearly do, because relevant web-pages display
> OK.
>
> Presumably I need to download and install another font for use with
> OpenOffice - either that, or somehow adapt whichever fonts FireFox
> uses to display IPA (and I don't know which they are).  The whole
> business of installing fonts is a bit of a mystery to me.  Any help
> would be much appreciated, because I need to solve the problem fairly
> quickly!

Sorry - panic over.  I found a font called Cardo98
( http://www.scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html ), viewed it in
Konqueror, which offered to install it for me, and it works fine.  No
idea how it did it, but at least I can finish my article.  Please
forgive me for wasting bandwidth.

David

--

David Sumbler