[Techtalk] Does anyone use emacs for email?

Gretchen Dziengel gdziengel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 01:27:49 EST 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 11:39:24AM -0400 or thereabouts, Angelina Carlton wrote:
> Hello
> The problems I found was none of the material I googled matched my
> setup:
>
> 1. Maildir format mailbox
> 2. Fetchmail and Procmail to place and sort my mail into ~/mail
>
> Most of the guides assume an mbox format, or that gnus will fetch the
> mail itself and I will then set rules for gnus to sort it. I wish it
> would just read what ever is in each folder.
>
> Maybe I am going about it all wrong and should dump procmail and
> fetchmail?

I did set Gnus up once, but went back to mutt and vim, so this set up
may not be ideal for you.

1. Fetchmail fetches all my e-mail
2. Procmail sorts it into folders in a Maildir folder in my home
directory
3. An IMAP server running on my computer "shares" the Maildir folder
4. I set up gnus for IMAP to localhost

For me it was very easy to install an IMAP server.

apt-get install courier-imap

Everything was configured and all I had to do was create the maildir
"Maildir" in my home folder.

I did however spend a lot of time trying to configure gnus using no
newsgroups at all and that caused me no end of headaches.

--
Gretchen