[Techtalk] Mac OSX and the gimp

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Sat Jul 2 23:03:40 EST 2005

G'day,

I was trying to help a friend install the GIMP on his Mac OS X, over the
phone, and never having used OSX myself and I came across a problem.  I
am hoping there may be some people that are familiar with it that could
help out.

We downloaded source files and uncompressed them without any problems,
then he found a terminal window, but attempting to "./configure" brought
us problems.  There appears to be no c-compiler, or awk, and no doubt
other tools that are needed for the install process.  Searching on the
internet I found a brief reference saying it needed "X11 terminal"
installed.

I have been unable to find a download, or mention of an "X11 terminal",
and I am not sure that I am looking for the right thing as we were
clearly able to open a terminal window which appeared put us into a bash sh.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or know what is needed to
compile programs on Mac OSX.

thanks

sue