[Techtalk] Mozilla v. Firefox

Julie Bovee joulie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 07:49:23 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:17:58 -0800, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 11:28 pm, Kai MacTane wrote:
> > At 1/25/05 09:18 PM , Carla Schroder wrote:
<snip>
> No, this is just general musings on a number of issues:
>
> 1. Migrating away from IE when you have spent years happily building apps to
> IE
> 2. Wising up to the existence of users on other platforms
> 3. Escaping vendor lock-in
>
> For businesses who have years of infrastructure locked into MS, these are big
> deals.
<snip>

> So I'm wondering how big a job these IE-only shops are faced with to climb out
> of the hole they've dug themselves into, and how big a job is writing
> cross-platform Web apps. Because even for internal apps that never the leave
> the company intranet, locking yourself into MS/IE seems like a real bad idea.
> You're painting yourself into a corner.

Just read an article last night on the pain IBM is experiencing over
being locked into IE for their internal apps, which has slowed their
migration to all-Linux workstations. So it's even the big Linux
players who are having major problems with being stuck with IE (though
it's self-inflicted, of course).

"Though IBM volunteers have set up an internal IRC (Internet relay
chat) channel where Linux problems are discussed online, users may
experience problems running IBM's internal Web applications. Most of
those applications are written for the Internet Explorer browser,
which has not been ported to Linux. Internet Explorer is the only
browser supported by IBM's internal support desk, according to another
IBMer."
taken from Yahoo News by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1817&e=10&u=/pcworld/20050125/tc_pcworld/119422&sid=96120756

Julie