[Techtalk] 302 crashes a browser?

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Fri Jan 21 15:17:00 EST 2005

At 1/20/05 07:30 PM , Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

>I've just helped one of my friends to set up a redirect within Apache to
>point <www.yarnharlot.ca/index.html> to <www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/index.html>
>As far as I can tell it's working perfectly, however, I just got an email
>from a Netscape/Mac user saying that the site crashed her browser...how
>would that be possible? I can't think of any reason *why* this would
>happen though. Any ideas?

A simple 302 shouldn't crash a browser, but here's what I get when I telnet
to it and try it manually:

kmactane at surehand:~$ telnet www.yarnharlot.ca 80
Trying 217.160.226.65...
Connected to www.yarnharlot.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.yarnharlot.ca

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:09:10 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix)
Location: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

d2
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Found</H1>
The document has moved <A HREF="http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/">here</A>.<P>
</BODY></HTML>

0

Connection closed by foreign host.

I'm not too sure what's up with that "d2" right before the HTML DTD, but
it's the only thing I can think of that might be throwing Netscape off its
stride. (Not that crashing a reasonable reaction to this, of course.)

                                                 --Kai MacTane