[Techtalk] why is Active X in web pages evil, but not Perl/PHP/Javascript?

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Fri Jan 21 06:31:13 EST 2005

At 1/20/05 12:10 AM , Almut Behrens wrote:

>Next, once they've actually installed Firefox, it of course has to
>compete with that other browser they love so much, so we need to supply
>a "fully" functioning alternative with all the nifty features you
>cannot live without, like ActiveX.  Sure.  So we just do it, it doesn't
>cause too much of a headache to implement under Windoze, after all.

Note that even under Windows, the ActiveX extension is just that: an
extension. If you really, really *need* (or just "really, really *want*")
ActiveX functionality in your Firefox browser, you have to go to the
appropriate Web site and download it. It doesn't ship with the browser itself.

Given Firefox's overall philosophy with extensions, I can't imagine that it
ever would ship with the browser.

Given that Firefox advocates (myself included) have been touting the *lack*
of ActiveX as a feature, I really, really can't imagine they'd ever ship
this particular extension with the browser. Even on the Windows platform.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"And you can swallow, or you can spit
  You can throw it up, or choke on it
  And you can dream, so dream out loud
  You know that your time is coming 'round
                                                 --U2,
                                                  "Acrobat"