[Techtalk] xfs quota problems (was filesystem options)

Kristina Clair kclair at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 03:05:55 EST 2005

Hello,

Thanks for all the input on filesystems.  I think we've decided to try
to stick with xfs if possible.  Upgrading to the latest versions of
xfs and xfs_progs has fixed some of the problems we were having.  It
turned out our journal was corrupt.

Also - I realized that the problem with setquota getting locked up was
that the /etc/passwd file was getting updated while setquota was
running (duh! :-) ).

However, I'm still getting an occassional error trying to use setquota:
setquota: Can't write quota for xxx on /dev/lvmvg/lvol0: Input/output error

I really don't know what to make of this - it only seems to be
happening for specific users, only a handful of all users.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kristina