[Techtalk] [fwd: Specify where to find and load fstab at boot prompt?]

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 06:46:03 EST 2005

> Hello,
>
> Is there away to specify where to find and load fstab file at boot time?
> Please reply to the list.  Many thanks.
>
> - Nguyen

Hi,

I don't think this can be changed, as mount seems to rely on using
that location. However mount is called from an init script. (in Debian
/etc/init.d/mountall.sh) so you might be able to mount everything
there manually (if that helps towards your purpose). Mount can
probably also be modified to not use /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab but a
different location.

If you do have a /etc but you just don't want the real file there you
could just symlink it. Anyway those are a couple of ideas.

greets,
Wim