[Techtalk] running kppp when not logged in as root

Wolfgang Petzold petzold at villa-chaos.de
Wed Aug 31 00:28:19 EST 2005

Linda Y. Kuo:
> The solution was a change to the file   /etc/pam.d/kppp
>
> I first changed
>     auth    required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>     auth    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>
> that did not work, but I left the change in anyway
>
> I then added
>     auth    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_console.so
> to the file
>

> If someone knows what that second change did, please
> let me know.

Thanks!

I had it rumouring in the back of my head, that using PAM were the
more elegant solution, but I wouldn't know how to either. So I'm pretty
much interested in some explanation as well ...

... [clickety, clickety, googling ...] I suppose I should be reading
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/User-Authentication-HOWTO/x101.html
first before asking ...

> And what are  *.so  files?

This one's not that hard, though. "so" is for "shared object"; these
are library files that can be used/linked by binaries at runtime. The
W*nd*ws equivalent would be *.dll ("dynamically linked library").

Wolfgang