[Techtalk] running kppp when not logged in as root

Linda Y. Kuo illini.engineer at att.net
Tue Aug 30 22:42:17 EST 2005

On 30 Aug 2005 at 9:59, Wolfgang Petzold wrote:

> Linda Y. Kuo:
> >    With an email from another person on this mailing list
> >    and better choice of search words on Google, I was able to
> >    find a solution.
>
> Linda,
>
> would you (and that `other person', for that matter) mind to post the
> solution to the list so that other people eventually searching this
> list's archives would be able to find it? Please.
>
> My suggestion would have been to have the kppp binary owned by a user
> group "dialout" and to add users who are to be allowed to access kppp
> to that group---maybe that was the solution you got already, maybe
> not, I can't say. Please let me know if I should add more details.
>
> All the best
> Wolfgang

Hello,

The solution was a change to the file   /etc/pam.d/kppp

I first changed
    auth    required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    auth    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

that did not work, but I left the change in anyway

I then added
    auth    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_console.so
to the file

If someone knows what that second change did, please
let me know.  And what are  *.so  files?

Linda