[Techtalk] Using a web browser to control stuff locally

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sat Aug 20 12:26:16 EST 2005

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 12:24:52AM +0100, esme wrote:
> How do you invoke a shell command from a web page?
>
> I want to create a web page that will provide buttons that can be clicked
> allowing me to select from a number of my CDs that I've ripped from HD.
>
> I  actually managed to do this kind of thing some years ago on my old Amiga,
> but using an extended form of the Amigaguide ML called iXG.  I'm sure I can
> manage the visible side of the HTML page (iXG wasn't too dissimilar to HTML),
> but what I don't know is how to do the bit where you invoke a program (like
> amarok, or some other audio player) with the necessary parameters (which
> files to play) so that the page acts as a front-end to the player.
Sounds like you need to write a CGI script.  Though I have a feeling
that somebody's already written a CGI front-end to XMMS so maybe you
just need that.
(goes and looks) Here's one: http://xmmsd.sourceforge.net/

Why exactly do you need a web-page front-end to an MP3 player?  That seems
like a lot of trouble to go to (there are user permission and security
issues in making CGI front-ends) when it is much easier and simpler to
just run the mp3 player in the first place.

> Esme  (PS: if it makes any difference, I use KDE for preference - but can
> happily use Gnome or IceWM or whatever for this, if need be. )
The window manager has got nothing to do with the web browser.

Kathryn Andersen