[Techtalk] Fedora 4 problems

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 04:39:31 EST 2005

Finally got round to ungrading my Fedora Core 2 to FC4.

It has taken me most of the day to get past a few teething problems,
but everything is working now - more-or-less.

Knowing that there are a few people out there who use FC4, I thought
I'd ask here for any quick fixes they might have for three obvious
remaining quirks - I'm getting tired!

1) This one's really bizarre.  When I am logged in to a console as
   root, certain programs, noatably "less", seem to hang immediately,
   until either I press Ctrl-C or use Alt-fx to switch to another
   console and back.  Then it runs normally.  Using "top" to observe
   what is going on, I find that there are enormous numbers of
   instances of "unicode-start" being run.  These quickly disappear
   when I switch to the console running "top".  This all happens only
   when I am logged in as root, not when I am logged in as a user, or
   even when I 'su'.

2) On boot I get a message 'Starting system message bus: Unknown
   username "haldaemon" in message bus configuration file'.

3) When I shut 'Stopping NFS locking' reports 'Failed'.  This item
   immediately precedes 'Stopping NFS statd', which reports 'OK'.

Thanks for any pointers.

David

--

David Sumbler