[Techtalk] PAM questions: system-auth, common-*, winbind

Colleen Hatfield evilpig at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:48:42 EST 2005

On 4/28/05, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

Disclaimer: I am not a PAM (or even Debianized-PAM) expert, and I
haven't set up winbind auth.  I have played around with LDAP auth on
Debian and had the pleasure of acquainting myself with these files
that way ;-P

> Now we move to Debian. Is there something similar? I see files called
>
> common-account
> common-auth
> common-password
> common-session
>
> Do these also function as a global default?

Yes, they do.  The gist of the setup is that those contain the
settings for the system auth scheme.  They get included by the other
files in /etc/pam.d/ as appropriate (where module-specific settings
aren't needed/wanted). /etc/pam.d/other includes all 4 of them.

> The problem is configuring winbind modules for PAM. I really don't care for
> the idea of configurating every single flippin' service separately for users
> authenticated via winbind, I want a nice global pam config. you know, like in
> the good old days of /etc/pam.conf

Yeah, those are the files you want to mess with to do such a thing
(unless winbind auth somehow requires a radically different type of
setup from ldap auth, that is).

- Colleen