[Techtalk] cron problem running a script

Angelina Carlton brat at magma.ca
Wed Apr 13 07:26:40 EST 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:42:03PM +0200, Almut Behrens wrote:

> ...almost :)
> I think you've also got to specify the minute:  0 14 * * *

Well when it didnt work at * 14 * * * I then set it for 2 14 * * * and
waited 2 minutes for it to run and again it failed.

As per some advice, I have added some echo statements:

#!/bin/sh
echo -n "Starting at "
date +%D %T

/usr/bin/rdiff-backup /home/aec/ /backup/armarda/home/aec/

echo -n "Ending at "
date +%D %T

echo "The script ran successfully"|mail -s Success aec

And now I get the final echo as an email, "The script ran
successfully"

So know I know cron is fine and the issue is with the difference
between running the rdiff-backup command from the command line versus cron.

--
Angelina Carlton