[Techtalk] cron problem running a script

Angelina Carlton brat at magma.ca
Wed Apr 13 05:04:40 EST 2005

Hello

I am trying to run rdiff-backup from cron and do not understand why
cron will not run this entry.

first the script:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/rdiff-backup /home/aec/ /backup/armarda/home/aec/

This simply backs up ~/ to the backup partiton (armarda is the
hostname)

The script runs fine from the command line and calls sh instead of
bash as per the debian man page.

Now the crontab -e entry:

MAILTO=aec
PATH=/home/aec/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
*/10 * * * * fetchmail -s
* 14 * * * /home/aec/bin/backup_home.sh > /home/aec/cronlog.log

The last line *should* run at 2:00pm every day, right?
I ran top at 1:59 and saw no cron process, however 10 minutes later
the fetchmail cronjob did run (I also get mailed a confirmation of the
fetchmail job)
I redirected to cronlog.log just to see if there are errors but this
file is not generated because the job is never ran.

* 14 * * * is 2:00pm, this I am almost sure of :-)

from: man 5 crontab

field          allowed values
minute         0-59
hour           0-23
day of month   1-31
month          1-12 (or names, see below)
day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)

Maybe I cannot see the forest for the trees, and there is
an obvious reason Ive missed.

--
Angelina Carlton