[Techtalk] Red Hat 9 boot into command line

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Mon Apr 11 15:16:10 EST 2005

Hi,

> In Debian the default runlevel is set in /etc/inittab. It's probably
> the same for red hat, though I wouldn't know cause I don't have access
> to a red hat box.

Go ahead, as far as I know, ALL linux systems (and those proprietary
ones) rely on /etc/inittab to know the default runlevel. Also, all
Redhat systems I encountered use it.
The only workaround is to specify the wanted runlevel on the kernel
command line at boot time.

If you wish to switch back and fourth between runlevels, use 'init X'
where X stands for the desired runlevel. Keep in mind that level 0
halts the system and runlevel 6 stands for 'reboot', so never set
those in inittab ;)
Init level 1 (also 'S' or 's') stands for single user mode : just one
root shell, no services etc.

bye,

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.