[Techtalk] apt-get hell?

Doc Nielsen docnielsen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:26:24 EST 2005

My suggestion to all this:

$ cat /sbin/updater
#!/bin/sh

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin"
dpkg --configure -a
for i in update upgrade dist-upgrade dselect-upgrade check clean autoclean
do
apt-get -y -f -m -V $i
done

- Doc

On Apr 2, 2005 12:53 AM, Laurel Fan <laurel.fan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005 2:06 PM, Katie Bechtold <katie at katie-and-rob.org> wrote:
> > # apt-get --ignore-missing install file-rc
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > The following NEW packages will be installed:
> >   file-rc
> > 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not
> > upgraded.
> > Need to get 0B/36.3kB of archives.
> > After unpacking 193kB of additional disk space will be
> > used.
> > dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
> > dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> > NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin,
> > /usr/sbin and /sbin.
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>
> I would try:
>
> 1. Find the package containing update-rc.d (either find the one that
>    apt downloaded, or get one from http://packages.debian.org)
> 2. Unpack it (.debs are ar archives, see the manpage for the ar
>    command to get the command to unpack it)
> 3. Find the update-rc.d file, and manually copy it to /usr/sbin/
> 4. Try to install the package with apt or dpkg.
>
> If it still complains about missing files (hopefully not), repeat...
>
> --
> Laurel Fan
> http://dreadnought.gorgorg.org

Evry little box should have a pat on the back by uid 0 at least once a day
Even a tux or a beastie needs love, just like I do :o)