[Techtalk] kernel modules

Val Henson val.henson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:08:22 EST 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:42:21 +0100 (BST), Noir
<acknak_halflife at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have just upgraded to kernel 2.6.7 in Slackware 9.1
> and noticed (by doing make menuconfig) that most of
> the things are installed as modules. Does anyone know
> how to install them in the system?

I'm guessing you mean that you would like them to be compiled into the
kernel rather than loaded as modules?  If so, just change the "M" to
"Y" in make menuconfig, recompile, and install the new kernel.  If you
compile in the drivers for your root device (usually the ide or scsi
modules), you won't need a ramdisk any more.

I usually leave my network devices as modules, btw.  Seems like a lot
of problems can be fixed by just unloading and loading the module
again (plus I'm usually fixing some bug in the driver).

-VAL