[Techtalk] questions re installing gcc-3.4.2

Jaroslaw Fedevych (UALUG jaroslaw at linux.org.ua
Wed Sep 22 13:17:15 EST 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:28:32PM -0700, Val Henson wrote:
> > I have downloaded gcc-3.4.2, gcc-g++,  and gcc-java.
> > What is gcc-core? How do I know if I need it or not?
gcc contains everything, gcc-core, gcc-g++ etc are needed if you
plan to install only a part of the compiler collection.

> The more interesting answer is that, after typing "gcc-core" into
> Google, it seems like gcc-core is the source package for gcc.  Unless
> you plan on compiling gcc from scratch (a daunting task, last I
> heard), I don't suggest installing it.
It is easier than one may think... configure (it is *here* where
some tweaking may be needed), make bootstrap and make install, easy
as a pie.

--
X Windows: The trailing edge of software technology.