[Techtalk] script for sending mail when password about to expire

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Sep 14 15:21:17 EST 2004

Hi there,

I would like to make a script that sends a mail to users when their
password is about to expire.  In ldap the password expiration date is
stored as days since January 1, 1970.  Is there an easy way to check the
current date in days since January 1, 1970 in a shell script?  It looks
like there may be some way to get the seconds since January 1, 1970,
using the date command, so I guess I could convert this to days, but not
sure this is the best way or exactly how to do this in a shell script.

Any ideas?  Thanks bunches,
maria