[Techtalk] Procite Alternative

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Fri Sep 3 20:04:34 EST 2004

Terri Oda wrote:
> I also use BibTeX for this.  You use a simple flat file database (read:
> a text file) that contains all the information about your
> citations/references.   Then  it can be used to generate references in
> all sorts of styles and orderings.  If you're using LaTeX, it also
> handles the actual linking of references from your main text to your
> bibliography in many different styles.  (Eg: [1] or (Oda, 2004) or
>
> It works best if you're doing your documents in LaTeX, but it can be
> made to work with other stuff -- you can generate reference lists in
> custom styles and export those lists to text or HTML, which you can then
> import to any word processor of your choice.

It is my understanding that Procite has all these features of BibTex.
And whilst it may be easy to write something that covers some of these
features it will be harder to write something that handles the actual
linking of references from the main text to the bibliography.

Being able to do the bibliography and export it in the right format may
well be usefull. But it seems that for the full functionality I will
have to learn to use LaTeX, which is all very well but it takes time!

I will have to put it onto the "to do when I have time" list.  (it a
very long list).

thanks

sue