[Techtalk] Politeness and the purpose of Techtalk

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Oct 28 07:24:03 EST 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 2:00 pm, Val Henson wrote:
> <list admin hat on>
>
> Hello,
>
> I've received several complaints about emails on this list being
> insulting, arrogant, or rude.  As a list admin, I have several things
> to say about this:
>
> 1. If someone is bugging you on the list, and it's causing you not to
> read the list or unsubscribe, then tell the list admins!  The admins
> tend to be very thick-skinned and busy, and we won't notice that women
> are quietly leaving the list unless you tell us that you are.

Thanks Val!

I would like to add the suggestion to killfile anyone who bothers you so much
that you think about leaving the list. Honestly, Techtalk is the most
civilized list in the whole world. Please don't let one or two people that
you don't care for drive you away. There is no way to create a perfect
environment for everyone, there will always be lumps and bumps and
personality clashes.

I also encourage women to be less shy about posting. All questions are good,
because other people have the same questions. All answers are good, even
partial ones. You don't have to be the world's expert, just share what you
know. That's the beauty of lists like this- every contribution adds to the
total, so every contribution is useful.