[Techtalk] Sound problem

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 23:27:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Robyn wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:31:14 +0100 (BST), David Sumbler wrote
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Robyn wrote:
>>
>>> What I found with the snd-intel8x0 module is that I've got an OSS mixer
>>> and ALSA mixer and if I turn up everything that's an output in both of
>>> them I get sound. I haven't narrowed it down yet. I've got an AC'97
>>> Audio Controller. I've seen this problem with 2 Socket A Via
>>> motherboards and an Intel based laptop.
>>
>> You're doing better than I am - I have no sound at all after booting
>> the system, and KDE protests when it sets itself up.
>>
>> David
>
> These are the modules I have loaded. You should get a start from here. You
> will need to go out of KDE and back in again.
>
> Robyn
>
> Module
>
> snd-seq-oss
> snd-seq-midi-event
> snd-seq
> snd-pcm-oss
> snd-mixer-oss
> snd-intel8x0
> snd-pcm
> snd-timer
> snd-ac97-codec
> gameport
> snd-page-alloc
> snd-mpu401-uart
> snd-rawmidi
> snd-seq-device
> snd
> soundcore

I don't seem to have

snd-seq-oss
snd-seq-midi-event
snd-seq

but all the others are loaded.  Do you know what these three do?

But I think the problem is something daft, as you suggested in your
first reply - the volume settings are zero until I change them.

Haven't had time to sort out the details yet - sound isn't that
important to me, and I've had lots of other computery things to occupy
me.

Thanks for your help.

David