[Techtalk] Blog spam

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Tue Oct 12 17:05:23 EST 2004

I use Kitten's Friendly comments for Wordpress
(http://mookitty.co.uk/devblog/category/kittens-friendly-comments/)
but I'm sure you can implement something similar.

If the writer has previously posted something to your comments, they're
added to your whitelist.  Anyone else gets moderated (meaning, you have
to approve the comment).  Once you've approved someone, they're added to
your whitelist.
You can manually edit your whitelist as well, and add or remove people.

It works decently well for me, and it's only a minor annoyance (there
aren't that many people that post comments to my weblog.

I'm waiting for trackback spam - which'll get a crapload of blogging
tools, since they all implement it in pretty much the same way.

Elwing