Fwd: [Techtalk] slooow web surfing and many timeouts

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Mon Oct 11 15:59:05 EST 2004

This may only be partially related, but I learnd from my recent traffic
shaping adventure that many DSL and Cable modems have *huge* buffers in
their router so that large downloads are faster.  This interferes with
smaller packets and smaller data flows.

I've seen noticable improvements in my general usage (other than
bittorrent) since I applied traffic shaping so that I keep the number of
packets in the DSL modem's buffer at a rate that my connection speed can
handle.

More information at:
http://nsd.dyndns.org/shapedsl/
(and other sites)