[Techtalk] RE: Red Hat Certification

mmp_fox at bellsouth.net mmp_fox at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 11 13:05:43 EST 2004

Chris,
  Take my opinion with the normal grain of salt, but here goes.  I am an
independent contractor whose primary gig right now is teaching Unix and linux
courses around the country. 2003 was an frustrating year for me...I had to drop
my rates by 20%-40%, was getting less offers and less attractive locales. In
Nov 2003 I got my RHCE.  The studying I had to do to pass opened up quite a few
new areas (esp. concerning security) for me. It was a bit overwhelming, but I
persevered.
  Shortly thereafter new opportunities starting presenting themselves. I am
currently teaching 4 different courses that I could not have TOUCHED a year
ago. Did the RHCE "get" me these jobs? Well, although it wasn't a prerequisite,
it was the boost that gave both myself and the companies involved the
confidence to proceed. I've been able to bump up my rates again (yeah!) and am
now turning down an occassional job whereas a year ago I'd bite at anything
that came near no matter what it looked like!

Barb Fox, Pres.
MultiMedia Productions, Inc.
mmp_fox at bellsouth.net