[Techtalk] kernel problems on a cluster

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Wed Nov 10 21:44:37 EST 2004

Hi there,

I have a cluster of diskless machines, that boot off the network.  I
have been upgrading them slowly.  I have two machines that are running
successfully with a new motherboard and processor.  I have been trying
to install the exact same model motherboard and processor (and at least
once exactly the same motherboard and processor) into *any* of the other
machines, and I can't boot with it.  The rest of the equipment, ethernet
cards, video cards are exactly the same, as is the file system, and all
of the machines will work with the old motherboard.  I have literally
switched out all of the stuff in the boxes except the power supply.  It
seems like there has to be something different about those two machines,
but I can't come up with anything.  Maybe if I could figure out what
these errors have to do with, I could figure it out, but googling gives
me a bunch of stuff that I don't understand in the least.  Here are the
errors I get:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address f8000000
printing eip:
c0108cfc

I found this eip in a list for slackware that says: setup_x86_irq

sometimes I get this error, which seems related:
Unexpected IRQtrap at vector 4d

The only thing that is wierd about the new boards is that we are not
using the built-in ethernet port.  I did have to do some fussing to get
it to use the ethernet card to boot over the network, but I made the
same changes to files of all the computers, and this seems to be working
fine on the two successful machines.

Anyone have any ideas?  Or can anyone tell me another good place to
post, and what all information I need to include?

thanks a bunch,
maria