[Techtalk] Fedora Core 3 and SELinux

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 10:22:11 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:27:28PM +0000, David Sumbler wrote:
>> Even so, I am not happy with the idea that my system depends on
>> something created by an arm of the American (or any) government.
>
> I don't actually think that the fact that the SELinux folks are employed
> by the US government is a concern.  (I was about to make a comparison
> with people employed by universities, but then I realized that I don't
> know enough about the US university system as opposed to the Australian
> one, to be able to make a meaningful comparison).
>
> The SELinux folks have actually been around for a while, long before
> Bush was in power.  Any reputation they have is independent of his
> Presidentness, and I don't think they'd really change overnight because
> of whoever happens to be President.  Just because the fellows in the
> White House are fanatics doesn't mean that everyone in the US is.

I wasn't intending to suggest that I would be happy with SELinux if
Bush weren't US president, or if the government involved were not the
American one.

OK, so I'm not exactly a fan of George, I mean, who is?  (Apart from
the 59,000,000 people who voted for him, of course, plus my dad.)  But
governments in general like to try to control things - it's in the
nature of governments.  So I don't trust them.

David