[Techtalk] Automounting an NFS share with "exec" permissions

Colleen Hatfield evilpig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:41:49 EST 2004

Hi all,

I've recently set up an NFS fileserver on my LAN so that I can get to
my files from my different machines and not litter them with different
versions.  I decided to use the automounter (autofs) to mount the NFS
share on the clients.  Everything's been working beautifully until
just now, when I decided to move some code on there.  I compiled it,
but when I tried to run it I got "Permission Denied" (execute bit is
set on program).  The problem is that my share is getting mounted
"noexec", but I'm not sure why that's happening.

Here's the relevant output from "mount" on the client:
escada:/exports/files/ep on /home/ep/.automount/files type nfs
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=15,intr,tcp,addr=192.168.53.11)

I know that if I were using /etc/fstab, I would just specify the
"exec" option or "defaults", but I can't figure out how to do this for
the automounter.  I try doing it in my map file, but I must be doing
it wrong.  Something is causing it to have the "noexec,nosuid,nodev",
and not allowing me to override it, but I'm not sure what.  Both
client and server are Debian.  Client is running sid/x86, server is
running sarge/sparc64.

Contents of my automount files:

#/etc/auto.master
/home/ep/.automount             /etc/auto.ep_mounts

#/etc/auto.ep_mounts
files   -rw,exec,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=15,intr,user,tcp
escada:/exports/files/ep/

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this I'd be very appreciative ;-)

Thanks!

- Colleen