[Techtalk] New to the list

Andrew showwork at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 1 15:14:43 EST 2004

	 Well now, did I hear the word *Mandrake*?  (-:
	And May I kindly ask... of the person who suggested Gentoo to a
nubie... Are you kidding???  (-: ( And I think you were.(-: )

	OK Now down to business. Mandrake is the best. (period)  Well the best
for a person coming over from windows I think. I've never used windows!
 	I had a wise person suggest to me stick with one distro and
learn it well, I believe Mandrake is the easiest once you recognise the
need to stick with Mandrake provided packages. Mandrake is a RPM based
distribution like RedHat and SuSe and an experienced person can use both
RedHat's and SuSe's rpm's (Packages/programs), but don't bother.
Mandrake has by far the largest collection of packages tested to work
with Mandrake there are almost Four thousand Mandrake tested packages.
	The most important tool for administering MDK is URPMI on the CL
(command line) or  in the GUI go to  Mandrake Control Center ->Software
Management. Both of these do the same thing, I have had better luck
using urpmi.  It is practically the only CL program I use in Mandrake.
Below are several sources for learning administration of Mandrake.
	As for equivalent packages/programs M$ to Linux there are several web
pages devoted to that. Sorry I don't have them on hand.

The most basic trick and this may be all you need to know is to remove
the old list of packages called 'media" before installing new.

Second 'trick' to Mandrake is called PLF or Penguin Liberation Front
http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/  Here you will find all necessary packages to
do anything with a mandrake box that M$ can do, but much more safely
and with much greater stability. Follow the directions closely for
the version of Mandrake you have, pick a mirror close to you they are
pretty much the same.

Learn this and almost everything is point and click from there. Honest.
	All the software that anyone could want(-:

URPMI - Exposed--> http://uug.byu.edu/articles.php?article=63
Garrick/urpmifaq-->http://speculation.org/garrick/urpmifaq.txt
The urpmi
tools.-->http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/eggnbacon/docs/urpmi-howto/tools.ht