[Techtalk] New to the list

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 03:31:13 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:01:26 -0800, litlone <litlone at cox.net> wrote:
> migraine from well needless to say I have to put the thing down and take it
> almost page by page with intervals in between. I taught myself HTML,
> attempting to teach myself perl and java. Realized that if I would have
> passed algerbra this might not be so difficult. So put the perl and java
> aside and am now teaching myself and my son algerbra.
Algebra can be a good start, as this will give you some ideas how to
do problem solving. If you want to learn to program I would recommend
Abelsson and Sussman as an excellent book for getting an idea of how
programms work,(it's not a learn to program in this language fast
book, it's a more general book): Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs, it can also be found completely online at
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

> Unix based system, where he is the answer man for Linux, and Unix. But he
> does the techie talk and speaks linuxese and unless I want to get that look
> like "What?" I tend not to ask questions like " if you were on a window
> system you can do this, how can you do that on a linux system."

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml
this is a nice list of windows and linux products and their equivalent
products on the other OS

> nephew comes around. 4 of the boxes are windows based  3 of these we are
> seriously considering turning into linux boxes but since I am the one who
> maintains them, I have to have a better understanding of linux, the last of
> the 4 is XP the other two are running Mandrake linux. Helping to set up the
> 2nd Mandrake box I found that some of it is just knowing abbreviations to
> commands, which made it a lot easier. This box originally had Lindows on it
> that was not a friendly thing at all so that is not any help to me. So I
> can see that the appearance is somewhat familiar but the commanding of the
> system is way different. More of the user actually being the inputter
> instead of the machine doing the work for you.

I learned an awfull lot when I did my first Gentoo install, however I
had been running linux before that for 2 years, so I had some
background, I learned a lot of neat tricks from the LinuxGazette:
www.linuxgazette.com and from googling for things that I encountered.

> Anyway after all of that chatter, the reason I joined was to hopefully get
> an understanding of linux what the differences are between that blasted
> windows environment and the linux environment. I am already aware that the
> security difference is immense and that is an added bonus.

You'll get that over time, as you read more and experience more. It
might also be a good idea to join newchix as well.

Finne