[Techtalk] Gentoo and Processor upgrade

Teri Solow tsolow at terisolow.com
Thu May 20 12:42:12 EST 2004

I'm in the process of upgrading my processor from a 1.3 GHz Athlon to
a 2800+ Athlon XP.  This of course means changing the CFLAGS option in
my make.conf file from "-O2 -march=athlon -fomit-frame-pointer" to
"-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer".

My question is, would it be worthwhile to recompile all the packages
on my system?  If so, what command would I use to do this without
upgrading?  Looking at the emerge man page, I don't see anything that
looks like it would do what I need (I'm thinking something like
# emerge --remerge world ). Any ideas?

As a corollary, my kernel is currently compiled for Athlon.  Am I
correct in assuming that I should NOT change this, as the next step up
(Opetron/Athlon64/etc) will only work for Athlon 64 bit processorsw?
I'm pretty sure that's the way it works, I just figured that since I
was already asking one question, and this is related, I might as well
double-check  :)

--
(n_	Teri Solow
//\	http://terisolow.com

Everything should be built top-down, except this time.