[Techtalk] CVS - preserving history of renamed files.

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed May 19 09:15:41 EST 2004

Yes I have renamed files with CVS by copying the ,v file within the
repository and then doing cvs remove of the original. Most of the time
when I have to rearrange files in that way, I don't often want to
checkout or revert to older versions of the whole repository, so I
have not encountered difficulties with the warned of behavior. And it
is quite worth it to retain the history of file revisions.  I usually
comment about the move in my cvs remove and cvs checkin. (I always
have a checkin of the new file because my files generally start with a
comment that contains the full file path and name.)