[Techtalk] cvs permissions

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Tue May 18 11:59:46 EST 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 11:08:35 +0100, Conor Daly wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a security model for a CVS server within our
> small (~10) developer group.  Up to now we've been working on a model of

Have a look at OSSP Shiela:

    http://www.ossp.org/pkg/tool/shiela/

    "OSSP shiela is an access control and logging facility for use with
     the Concurrent Versions System (CVS). It is intended to be hooked
     into CVS's processing through the $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/xxxinfo
     callbacks. This way OSSP shiela provides access control on a path
     and branch basis to particular repository users and user groups."

I've not used it, but it looks like it provides much more flexible
access control than the Unix user/group model.

According to the change log, 1.1.0 and later versions only work with
CVS 1.12 and later, so if you're running an older version of CVS get
an older release of Shiela.

Cheers,

John
--
Mental note to self: Users are ignoring our rules for connecting
machines to the network. Must remove old heads from spikes and put up