[Techtalk] Sendmail question #2

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Mon Mar 29 16:34:36 EST 2004

Martin, Caitlyn said:
> The problem is not detecting spam.  We do that well enough.

Yeah, i was commenting on conor's post for that.

> The issue really is that we know it's spam but that rejecting it as such
> causes a mail loop since the bounce would go right back to us.

Egads!  Why are you bouncing spam to the "From: " header?  Those are just
going to be forged anyways so just eat the spam/virus instead of returning
it.

> One approach might be to correctly detect that the header is forged.
> Fine, again, we know it's spam.  How do we bounce it somewhere other than
> the reply-to?  How do we drop the stupid thing altogether instead of
> generating
> a bounce?  If I could do that the problem would be solved.

MailScanner lets you do alot of nice things with spam & viruses.  I've
chosen to have it eat viruses and all spam with a SpamAssasin score of 7
or higher.  Any other spam with a score of 5 or higher has [SPAM] added to
the subject and an X-<mydomain>-SpamScore header that I have procmail
configured to deliver to a 'junk' folder.

--
Kathryn
http://womensfootyusa.com