[Techtalk] Trying to get octave to compile.

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Fri Mar 19 12:20:35 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:23:57PM +1100, John Clarke wrote:

> I'll try building it tomorrow and see if it runs.  I have no idea what

I've just installed gcc-g77 and downloaded and built octave 2.1.57.  I
tried a few of the tests:

    [johnc at dropbear ~/tmp/octave-2.1.57]$ ./src/octave test/octave.test/arith/acos-1.m
    GNU Octave, version 2.1.57 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
    Copyright (C) 2004 John W. Eaton.
    This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
    There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

    Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

    Please contribute if you find this software useful.
    For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

    Report bugs to <bug-octave at bevo.che.wisc.edu> (but first, please read
    http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

    ans = 1

so it looks like it's working.  So then I decided to run all the tests.
Many cause errors, but it doesn't crash:

    [johnc at dropbear ~/tmp/octave-2.1.57]$ for i in `find ./test/octave.test/ -name \*.m`; do ./src/octave $i>/dev/null ; done
    error: abs: too few arguments
    error: abs: too many arguments
    error: acos: too few arguments
    [snip]

Cheers,

John
--
Have I been watching too much "Yes, Minister" that when I see a study
justifying a failure rate, my alarm bells go off about the veracity