[Techtalk] Running Matlab & Nural Networking (Re: Remote X applications )

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Mar 17 23:18:33 EST 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 12:58, Sue Stones wrote:
> Well my lecturer, as I expected, wasn't interseted in fixing this problem.
> It may only take 5 seconds to fix the problem, but there might be 5 weeks
> of red tape to do it.  So I wasn't surprised.

Sue,

There is another way to possibly get X11 forwarding working, although I can't
promise that this is not disabled too.

Try (on your local machine)
$ xhost +localhost
$ ssh -R 6010:127.0.0.1:6000 username at remote.host

Note: The above line must have 127.0.0.1, not just 'localhost'.

Then, on the remove host:
$ export DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
(or whatever is right for the shell on your remote host)

$ xterm

If the above works, you are in business.  If not... well, it was worth a try.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox