Bidirectional syncing (Re: [Techtalk] rsync backup script)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jun 22 14:23:34 EST 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Everybody else I ask who uses rsync regularly seems to use it
> unidirectionally: only to back up machine1 to machine2, never to
> syncing directories in both directions?

unison claims to be the tool for that job: rsync-like algorithm for
detecting changes, but can move things in either direction. It'll even
push deletes and so on the right way. I quite like it, although I can't
make its GTK1 GUI look nice :( (There's a CLI version too.)

It needs to be hand-held for the first sync.

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

-Mary