[Techtalk] iPod with Linux

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 22:08:11 EST 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Teri Solow wrote:

> I just recently got an iPod mini, and it works great with linux.
> The only issue is that you need to use a Windows machine for the
> first time to format it and install the newest firmware.

No problem there: I have Windows ME on this machine, and I'm prepared
to swallow my pride and boot it in order to format the iPod!

> After that though, it's just like any other USB mass storage device-
> mount it and copy files.

Right - I've never used any USB mass storage device, but presumably
it's easy enough.

> I use gtkpod, because it is smart and sets up the directories for
> you.  In addition it can be configured to automagically
> mount/unmount the ipod when it starts/exits, and can sync up your
> ipod to directories on your computer (by checking md5s of files on
> the ipod to make sure there are no duplicate files, etc.).

I've had a look at this, and it looks good.  Perhaps I'll try to
compile it, just to make sure there's no problem, before I part with
any money.  (I'm using Fedora Core 1, and there doesn't seem to be an
ready built rpm available.)

How would I actually go about copying an audio CD to the iPod?  How do
I convert it into a file?

David