[Techtalk] PGP siging mail

PCasper sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Mon Jun 7 06:31:43 EST 2004

James wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:02:45 -0400, Teri Solow <tsolow at terisolow.com> wrote:
>
>> The purpose of this message is twofold: first, to see what happens
>> when I send a PGP-signed mail to the list, and to find out whether
>> this annoys anyone, or whether anyone cannot read it (in which case I
>> don't expect many replies).
>

> Hey! I can't re- oh wait... ;-)

During the day, I skim through list mail at work using Outlook Express,
since it's what's provided to us on our work systems, and it does a
HORRIBLE job with signed messages - it takes the entire message body and
puts it as an attachment. Most of the time, if I come across a signed
message, I won't bother looking at it until I get home, where Mozilla
correctly interprets what should go where.

>> Secondly, I'm wondering about your opinions regarding signing all
>> mail, including work email (which you can pretty much guarantee will
>> be read by people using Outlook).  I have heard that some mail clients
>> (most notably Outlook) do not understand multipart/signed attachments,
>> and will for some reason make the body of an email only viewable as an
>> attachment in the case where it receives attachments it doesn't
>> understand.  Of course, I'm not sure how old that information is, and
>> for all I know it ceased to be valid years ago.  But that's what I'm
>> asking all of you for- to get feedback from people who likely have
>> more experience than I do.  :)

My only annoyance with signed messages in Outlook is that it blocks the
two-line preview of the message that I get with the preview pane turned
off. Otherwise, it handles them fine, it's only Outlook Express that
I've ever seen have a real problem with them.

--Poppy