[Techtalk] DVD drive frustrations

lupine at sarahj.net lupine at sarahj.net
Mon Jun 7 03:09:40 EST 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Carla Schroder wrote:

> **please reply to list-only**
>
> On Sunday 06 June 2004 10:48 pm, SJ Straith wrote:

> > Some starting information here.

> > I am running (for various reasons) a dual (Win2K, Debian
> > Linux) boot laptop.

> > For some reason while my laptop has no problem seeing my dvd
> > drive in Win2K it will NOT see my dvd drive even as a cd
> > drive in my debian boot.

> > I know that LJL installed the proper drivers, etc when she
> > did my initial install, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

> > Anybody got some suggestions as to how I can correct this
> > problem?

> Is there anything in dmesg that might give a clue? It
> should be a plain ole ATAPI device, nothing extraordinary
> or weird there. This is what mine looks like:

> hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver
> hdc: ATAPI 24x DVD-RPM drive, 512B Cache, UDMA 33
> Uniform CD-ROM driver revision: 3.12

hdc: QSI DVD-ROM SDR-081, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 19640880 sectors (10056 MB) with 347KiB Cache,
     CHS=1222/255/63 UDMA(33)
hdc:ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

> It's possible that kernel support was not built in, it's
> usually a loadable module, ide-cd and cdrom (try
> /sbin/lsmod)

*ouch*  I do not see it in lsmod.  LJL must have missed it
somehow in the install.  *sigh* And I REALLY don't want to
start messing with kernals yet.  Oh well, it looks as though
I will just have to wait until she has the time and
headspace to recompile the kernal for me.  Unless someone
has another suggestion.

Thanks,

	datapard