[Techtalk] WHY everyone should use Linux

gebhard dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 22 11:06:56 EST 2004

Hi,
On Wednesday 21 July 2004 17:36, Meryll Larkin wrote:
> 7/21/04
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Next, get them off Outlook for the same reason.  Switch to Eudora
> or ???
Well, I think, Outlook is a nice example. Of course you can configure
it properly to get it safe but consider what you have to do and
compare it to ??? (any sensible mail-client)
E.g. you'll want to stop it from showing eMail in html-format for
obvious reasons. For Outlook 2000 you'll need a VBA-Script that
converts html to rtf. What sort of crap is that? Is rtf safe? In
outlook 2002 you'll have to download 16MB (or whatever it was) of
Office SP1 and then add a dword-value in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER-registry-branch: ReadAsPlain. What kind of ...? In
OE there is afaik no way to get rid of this completely unnecessary
vulnerability (And shall I tell you what I had to do to use LDAP in
Outlook 2002? Download all 4 Office-SPs!!! then, once again,
Registry-Edit)
In Windows Explorer the default setting in View is 'Hide known
Application Type-extensions' (like .vbs).
Ok I quit ranting but what does this say about MS' security policy?
> [ ... ]
>
> I work at a shipping company.  The last thing any other worker in
> that company wants to do is need to learn new computer stuff.  As
> far as they are concerned the computers are for getting their work
> done as fast as possible and playing games and downloading spyware
> on their breaks.
I work at a University-institute. same with us. But there is one
thing: people work with computers and get paid for it. If I worked on
construction my employer would expect me to care about the security
issues of the machines I need for my work. I don't expect anyone to
become a computer nerd. But for the basic issues of the tools they
need to get their work done one could expect a tiny little bit more
interest sometimes. yesterday I read in the newspaper about severe
security problems in Los Alamos and the Boss wrote a letter saying
(sorry for mistakes in retranslation german -> english): "I don't
care how many people I have to get rid of. If you think that rules
are nonsense leave by your own and save me from firing you."
But as soon as computers are involved, employees can be as ignorant
as they wanna be, everything's up to the Admin and dealing with
something new or different is to great a demand

> Meryll
regards gebhard