[Techtalk] grub/boot image problems

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Sun Jul 18 00:31:02 EST 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 23:35, Meredydd wrote:
> On Thursday 15 July 2004 20:59, Katie Bechtold wrote:
> > How might I ensure in the future that the /boot partition is always
> > mounted (assuming that's a good policy)?  My /etc/fstab already has
> > the following entry:
> > /dev/hda1      /boot       ext2    noauto,noatime          1 1
>
> If you remove the "noauto", then this volume will be mounted
Wibble. What I meant was:

If you remove the "noauto", then this volume will be mounted by
"mount -a", which is the command that gets executed during the boot
sequence to mount all the stuff listed in /etc/fstab. At the moment,
it's just listed for convenience (so you can just "mount /boot", and
have /sbin/mount "know" what to do about it, rather than having to
specify all the parameters each time). Are you even sure you want to
have it mounted automatically? I think the idea is as a molly-guard, to
prevent something silly from happening, and "sudo mount /boot" isn't
too strenuous. On the other hand, you could well want it to Just Be
There(tm), in which case go with modifying /etc/fstab.

Meredydd