[Techtalk] Re: SysVInit Replacements?

mike at mikebell.org mike at mikebell.org
Sun Jan 18 06:16:59 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:26:58PM -0800, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
> I'm interested in getting opinions and suggestions on alternate init systems
> from anyone who has experience with them. Out of the two above, which would
> be the most beneficial to install on the new systems? Failing those, which
> would you recommend?

I'm using runit right now on my notebook and several servers. I really
love almost everything about it. The layout problem you mentioned can be
fixed quite easily using symlinks, just create a little shell script to
create all the requisite directories (the read-only etc component, the
supervise directory in /var/run or something, and the logs in /var/log)

I strongly advise giving runit a try. It took some getting used to, but
I've now got a fair bag of tricks worked out. I even have my user-level
tasks controlled by it, so my xterm, mozilla, etc are automatically
started when their dependancies (like X for user stuff, and a network
connection for mozilla) become available, and restarted if I shut them
down.

I use ion as a WM as well, so it's pretty much just "turn on the
notebook and it's ready to use."