[Techtalk] Can't send mail from emacs

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jan 22 10:13:12 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Mary wrote:
> > The most likely thing is that they're using different mail relays.
> > It looks very much like emacs is using localhost, what is pine
> > using? (You can check somewhere in the config.)
>
> Pine tells me that the smtp server is relay.plus.net.  Is that what
> I'm looking for?

Yep, that's it. Is there any setting in emacs that will tell it to use
that as it's relay (sometimes also called an "SMTP server", "SMTP relay"
or "smarthost").

> > If you need help with the second or third option, find out which
> > mail server it is (telnet to localhost on port 25 and it will
> > probably identify itself) and we can help you out. I can't help with
> > fixing emacs, I've never used its MUA.
>
> I tried telnet localhost, and it tells me "connection refused".

Try "telnet localhost 25" to telnet to port 25. Telnet connects to port
22 by default.

> So - what should I change it to, and where do I need to change it?  My
> actual email address is david at staly.plus.com (although the address I
> give to people is david at aeolia.co.uk, since I prefer to use my own
> domain name in case I change my ISP).  Ceres is the particualar
> computer that I am using on a very small LAN.

I can't answer this yet -- I can't answer it at all for emacs in fact.
But I hope another list member can.

-Mary