[Techtalk] Internationalization issues

Sara Falamaki saraf at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jan 20 12:29:04 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:42:46PM -0800, caitlyn at mizuhoradio.com wrote:
>  I just don't know how things might work in Arabic or Farsi or ????

Pretty much the same.  The only time that we insert vowels (which are
just small strokes above or below the letters), is when the text is
aimed at a beginner (first and second grade school books), the
pronounication is ambigious, or unknown (commonly with scientific or
technical words), and in the Quran, and prayer books in Arabic.

There's also a notion of capitalisation, but it's almost exactly
opposite English.  Big letters are used to indicate the end of words,
small letters join together to form the word, the big one deliminates
words.  I've found support for this to be very poor in unix systems,
often the letters are all big letters, and therefore impossible to read.