[Techtalk] OpenOffice.org wizards: how do I...

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Thu Jan 15 22:16:39 EST 2004

Well I know it may not be the most comon way to use a word processor, but I am
trying to use it to write maths expressions.  Currently I am doing an
assignment that I am hoping to convert to a pdf format to email to my
lecturer who uses WIndows (as do the rest of the IT department - i've been
trying to convert some of them, but thats another story).

Here are some things I have had trouble with, does anyone know how to deal
with these things ...

1) writting subscripts and superscripts: it seems that every time I need to
use one I have to go to the format menu -> character (box) -> change to
suscript -> OK.  Then to change back I have to do the whole thing again. Even
keyboard instructions have to go through each step.  This is a lost of typing
to get one number and means I have to concentrate on formatting not content.
Is there a faster way of doing this?

2) more improtantly, because I can't do it at all - iw there a way to get
words to line up diferently...  For example when writting a definition of a
function that contains 2 parts,  eg

f(x) = { x if x is odd
         { x + 1 if x is even

Normally in maths this is formatted with the bracket embracing both of the
following lines ie it has to be written  across two line of text.  (This is
important).  Also the initial "f(x)" is virtically aligned in the center of
the bracket and the following 2 lines.  (This part is optional).

There are other things about making changing of fonts easier (I have to use
multiple fonts in each mathematical experssion), but these will do for now.

sue